Expectations: This weeknight salad or side dish comes together in less than 5 minutes. On the weekends, I sometimes will add hard boiled or poached eggs to make this a light lunch for my husband and I. For the children, I take the components and serve them ‘a la carte’ as the veggie portion of dinner or weekend lunches.
- 1 small to medium ripe tomato (1/2 cut into rounds for grown ups, ½ cut into rounds, then quartered into smaller chunks for kids)
- Cucumbers (cut into rounds, if a large one cut into rounds then halve or quarter for t he kids’ portion)
- 1 fresh Carrot – cut into rounds (rounds from the smaller end of the carrot used for the kids’ servings)
- Spring onions (or scallions) – white parts only, cut into small rounds.
How to put this onto your table:
- Cut rounds of a ripe tomato, for the grown ups: sprinkle a small amount of coarse/kosher salt; top with sliced spring onion and cucumber slices and carrots. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar.
- For the kids, serve the tomato, cucumber & carrot ‘a la carte’ (no dressing) and (of course) not touching each other on the side.
Did you enjoy this? For updates from momshierarchyofneeds.com join the mailing list!