I keep a pork tenderloin in my freezer at all times. It’s very flexible to work with, you can season it, make it plain, ‘dress it up it to be fancy’… whatever mood you’re in the pork tenderloin will rise to the occasion. Oh and in a nice high oven it cooks in 12 minutes… hello-weeknight-wonderful!
Time: Total time for this, depending on which flavor option you choose and the size of your tenderloin, is typically 15 – 20 minutes.
Serves: 4 – 5. This typically serves my family of four people (2 grownups, 2 kids) 1 time, every once in a while a little is left over.
Kid modifications: Even with the BBQ dry rub, which I use often it’s not ‘so spicy’ it’s problematic. If your kids are sensitive to seasonings, slice a small piece into cubes and serve the ‘interior’ pieces (i.e. give the ‘outer’ layer with the seasoning on it to someone else). seasoned pork tenderloin, sear over high heat in the pan before putting in the oven. This would also be great with salt and pepper to taste.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 pork tenderloin (typically 1 – 1 1/2 pounds)
Steps to put this on your table:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season 1 large pork tenderloin: cover lightly with a dry rub (I keep one that I make on hand in my pantry or use a quickie-dry rub easily thrown together on the fly.
- Sear the pork tenderloin in an oven proof frying pan (with a little bit of canola or olive oil) over medium high heat until browned on all sides (about 3 to 5 minutes) then roast in the oven (400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 – 14 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees Fahrenheit).
Optional maple variation: Remove after 10 minutes (use an ovenmit, handle will be super hot) and drizzle about 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup onto the tenderloin and turn (with tongs) to coat evenly. Return to the over for another 2 – 4 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board away from the heat to rest for about 5 – 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Did you enjoy this? For dinner recipes & other ways to save time for self care, join the mailing list!