All Purpose ‘Leftovers Reimagined’ Burrito Recipe
I know this sounds a little vague doesn’t it? Trust me, many of your leftovers can be successfully reintroduced to your family as burritos (for the grown ups) and for the kids, I just make a cheese/hummus quesadilla and put the protein & burrito veggies on the side.
Kids plate, cheese & hummus quesadilla with Brazilian style chicken, carrots & peas on the side.
The preparation for this is fast and easy, this is one of my ‘ready in 15 minutes from start to finish’ dinners. Warming up the leftovers, wrapping the burritos and serving any fresh veggies you decide to for your kids on the side still takes less than 15 minutes.
- Leftover protein (chicken, pork, beef, turkey, tofu, etc.) or scrambled eggs about ½ cup per burrito
- Vegetables of choice (i.e. baby spinach, tomato, avocado, olives) cut small about ¼ cup per burrito
- Leftover grain (rice, barley, cous cous, quinoa, etc.) about ¼ cup per burrito (optional)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Also optional, hot sauce or salsa (i.e. Sriracha, Bajan pepper sauce, hot tomato salsa) to taste
Steps to get this onto your table:
- Warm your tortillas (on a sauce pan, the same one that you will later use to heat up the leftovers or as I often do to save time, folded and placed in a slot in your toaster on low setting for a short time, i.e. remove after about 1 minute).
- Place a small amount of cheese (if using) and veggies (if using) in the center of each tortilla for the burrito eaters (i.e. grownups or adventure burrito enjoying kids).
- Place the warmed protein & grains also in the center of said burrito wrapper.
- Optional, add hot sauce to taste.
- Fold about ¼ of the burrito wrapper inwards toward the filling on the top and bottom of each burrito. Starting on the right, fold the outer edge inward (about ¼ of the burrito) while the bottom and tops are still folded inward. Roll up the burrito from right to left (see step-by-step instructions and a video I found on WikiHow here, if you’ve not rolled burritos before it’s nice to watch a video before you start).
Did you enjoy this? For updates from momshierarchyofneeds.com join the mailing list!