Make Ahead Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
I regularly will buy a ‘cut up’ chicken because you still get the ‘warm blanket + footie pajamas’ roast chicken on the bone comfort, but with easier ‘make ahead’ prep and (slightly) less cooking time.
This marinade is easy, still kid friendly and this morning, I prepped the chicken while making breakfast and then put it in the fridge to work it’s marinating magic all day while we had the typical nonstop Saturday. If you can, marinate several hours or even a full day in advance.
Prep is easy, about 5 – 10 minutes. Cooking time is 45 minutes. This serves my family 2 times.
- 1/2 cup of mustard (I used country style Dijon today but recommend using yellow mustard or creamy Dijon, which have less mustard seeds and more even coverage)
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- Salt (about 2 or 3 teaspoons)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of fresh ground pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole chicken cut up (8 pieces) — you can buy a chicken this way at most grocers or request a butcher to cut for ease, also it’s fairly straightforward to cut your own chicken (with kitchen shears and a sharp knife) if you have more time.
Steps to put this on your table:
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl, add the chicken and then use a large spoon to turn and make sure all of the pieces are coated. Cover the bowl and put aside in fridge to marinate (ideally at least 6 hours but a day ahead is even better)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- Spray a roasting pan with oil (I use coconut oil or olive oil) to prevent sticking.
- Pour the chicken and marinade into the pan, use a spoon if needed to help coat any uncoated pieces.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before eating, enjoy!
Make ahead 5 minute marinade plus cut up chicken allows for an easy yet comforting and satisfying main dish.
Honey mustard roast chicken, served with barley, corn & sweet potato or carrots on the side for the kids.
Enjoy this? For updates –new recipes, posts & research, please join the mailing list!