Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Shoulder
The prep time on this is very quick (10 minutes), especially if you have a dry rub on hand. The cooking time is long (8 – 9 1/2 hours), but happens in slow cooker magic land where you don’t have to oversee every little detail while it’s transforming into something wonderful.
I make this in a slow cooker, you’ll need a large (i.e. 6+ quart) size.
Here’s what you’ll need for ingredients:
- 1 pork shoulder (Boston butt) ideally on the bone typically 3 ½ to 5 lbs. Coated with a dry rub of your choosing (or my quickie faux ‘I’ve run out of my pantry stash of dry rub’ rub: 2 tbsp. cumin, 2 tbsp. turmeric, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. of paprika – shaken generously to cover the pork ).
- Optional – sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds onto the pork when you’re applying the dry rub. They’ll add a subtle, delicious flavor to the roast.
Note: It’s great if you can do this the day before, but if you can’t, no worries – still delicious.
- 2 large onions (cut into thick rounds).
Note: I often do this the night before and just save the onions in a sealed container in the fridge. Then it’s incredibly fast to pull this together before you dash out of the door.
- Worcestershire sauce — I like to use an organic version, they sell one at Whole Foods. (optional, to taste)
Steps to put this on your table:
- Optional step but, but well worth it, sear the meat on all sides on high heat in a small amount of vegetable oil. You will likely need to do this in a large frying pan unless you have a slow cooker, with a stove-top safe insert, which was a treat I bought myself several years ago).
- Place the onion rounds in one even layer on the bottom of the slow cooker insert. The onions become the ‘bed’ for your pork to rest on during cooking.
- Place the pork on top of the onions.
Marinated overnight, pork shoulder rubbed with BBQ dry rub, sprinkled with coriander seeds. Ready to start the slow cooker!
- Shake a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce, i.e. ¼ cup over the top of the pork
- Cook on the low setting in the slow cooker for 8 to 9 ½ hours.
Just finished BBQ pork shoulder, the onions become soft and flavorful, almost caramelized.
- If it was on the bone, pull off of the bone with tongs – serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker BBQ pork shoulder — seasoned with coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, brown sugar & turmeric.
Did you enjoy this? For updates from momshierarchyofneeds.com join the mailing list!